nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mulberries - pollarding (was pruning to weep)

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mulberries - pollarding (was pruning to weep)
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 16:50:32 -0400

Thank you.

I like the site. very informative. I also like: "Topping mature trees is
not pollarding - it is a crime against nature"

How true. There is a terrible trend here in the NC Piedmont for people
to severely truncate their century-old oaks. They sprout weak growth
the second year, then tend to decline quickly. Most are dead within 5
years. By then, the tree "surgeon" (murderer) has cashed the check,
spent the proceeds, and is long gone.

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC