nafex - [NAFEX] Blackberry........fungus?

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blackberry........fungus?
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 08:36:56 -0500

My Fort Kent King Blackberries have what looks like a fungus and I don't know how to treat it or even if it is treatable. The symptoms are leaves that are slightly more crinkled than normal, all with a yellow fringe. Where all normal canes produce flower buds, these infected canes produce only foliage. What is it and how to doctor it?
I saw it last year for the first time and sprayed it with the fungicide I use to spray tomatoes (Daconil) but the blackberries just laughed at me. This year, all of the original plants are infected but, surprisingly, none of the suckers have it.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: