nafex - [NAFEX] frozen pluot buds and bland AP's

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] frozen pluot buds and bland AP's
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 16:15:12 -0400

Donna wrote, "in reply to Alan's comments, yes, stone fruit blossoms can look just fine after a freeze, then set no fruit.  If you actually look closely at your blossoms that have you worried, you may see the centers are blackened.  It's harder to spot on peaches than on plums.  It happens more times than not down here, but isn't all that important unless the freeze gets every bud.  With peaches you only need 10% survival for a full crop.
Regarding the extremely bland Asian pears, I think that's just the way they are.  They'd probably be a bit sweeter if grown down here, but just as bland."

To which I respond-  that doesn't  quite answer my question.  I wasn't just talking about the blossoms looking fine but also being just as attractive to bees- Is this the case as well with these sterile half frozen buds.

The bland Asians weren't just bland as in no aroma- they had little sugar as well.  Several varieties, most notably, Korean Giant, get sugar-sweet here in southeastern NY.  Much better than what I can buy from any market around here or even in China Town NYC.