nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Subject: Re: peach tree- Peter

  • From: Drevniok <colleendaly@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Subject: Re: peach tree- Peter
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 21:09:37 -0400

Hi Caren,

I should make it clear that my Reliance had its' main leader broken during the winter of 2007/2008; I was going
to cut it off last spring (2008) but there were so many blossoms (and resulting fruit) that I left it. However, I guess the wound
was too much for it and that is why it died way back this year. There are now only the bottom two branches left. It did however,
produce 12 blossoms and there are leaves but it does not look all that healthy. Most probably, my problem
is different from Toni's. I intend to get another Reliance to replace or add to the one growing. Like I posted before - that
one wonderful year (2008) that the tree produced around 100 peaches was well worth the time and effort.

I did have a neighbour, however, who also had a Reliance but it died after 2 seasons. Make sure it is sheltered
and keep it pruned low. You might find it useful to talk to Ken Taylor at Windmillpoint farms in Ile Perot.
Ken used to have seedling peaches and, although small, they do make wonderful jams etc.

No idea why your Golden Russet would not take. Your microclimate might need thorough analysis.

Finally - all I can add is that the more I garden the "luckier" I get.
Peter Drevniok, Gatineau, QC zone 4b

Caren Kirk wrote:
Toni, Peter et al,

I am a little freaked out because I planted a reliance last year in my yard. It leafed out very late but fully and all seemed to be going OK. I was advised that in my area (officially AgCan Zone 5a but in reality more like 4b) the tree would be fine but it might suffer from late frosts and not fruit. However I planted it in a fairly sheltered place and thought if it didn't fruit I would do as advised this year and pot it, and winter it in my garage until the risk of frost had passed.

Anyway to get to the point, it has absolutely no leaves and no signs of getting any. I pruned it lightly in April and didn't think anything was wrong with it, but it's looking decidedly dead now.

Do you have any suggestions to confirm my suspicion? Do you think it was just too cold for it (it didn't seem to be a particularly cold winter, and it was sold to me as zone 4a)?

What I am really worried about is the same thing seems to have happened to my Golden Russet apple, and based on it I have just planted 2 other apples. Anyone got any ideas what I'm doing wrong, before I kill off any more fruit trees?

Desperately,

Caren
Quebec.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Toni Pralle" <toni.pralle@gmail.com>