nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fw: Black Monukka Grape Opinions

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fw: Black Monukka Grape Opinions
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 18:35:19 -0700

If you live where muscadines grow, odds are good your other grapes aren't going to live long. If you want bunch grapes you'll need to get varieties resistant to Pierce's Disease, a bacterial disease that attacks grapes. Muscadines are resistant, or able to tolerate it, but it kills or seriously weakens bunch grapes not bred to resist it. Besides many grapes bred by T.V. Munson, there are some from Florida and Mississippi programs that are resistant. Florida grapes include Stover, Conquistador and Lake Emerald, to name a few. Mississippi grapes include MissBlue and MissBlanc. I believe I mentioned some of the ones from Munson earlier.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/