nafex - [NAFEX] Fungus on Cherry Seeds

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fungus on Cherry Seeds
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 23:13:41 -0700

Hi there,

I have been collecting seeds from this year's disastrous cherry harvest, trying to salvage something by at least germinating them for rootstock, etc.  I picked them pretty clean of flesh before putting them in a ziploc bag with a damp paper towel in the fridge. I checked them today and about 3/4 of them had a fine dark green fungus growing on them. I tried spraying a detergent on them to see if I could kill the mold but it's very difficult to clean the seeds of all traces of mold. Does anyone have a suggestion for how I could treat them without killing their ability to germinate?

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA

CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b

Garden with me on Folia: http://myfolia.com/gardener/spidra/invite

Golden Gate Chapter Blog: http://crfggoldengate.blogspot.com/

  • [NAFEX] Fungus on Cherry Seeds, Spidra Webster, 05/18/2009