nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ants Under the Apple Tree

  • From: Kevin Moore <aleguy33@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ants Under the Apple Tree
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:50:11 -0700 (PDT)

Different ants have different behaviors which may or may not be harmful. You need to identify the species and its characteristic behavior before you decide. I seem to remember that red ants are generally predators, and so should be left alone as they may protect your tree. Here in Louisiana, we have imported fire ants that are supposed to be predatory, but in my experience they are scavengers not hunters. They sting pretty badly, and they will swarm up your legs, so I try to get rid of them, but they seem to have developed resistance to everything I have thrown at them so far.
Good luck with your new squatters.