nafex - [NAFEX] Pear:Atlantic Queen

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pear:Atlantic Queen
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 10:51:59 -0700

It was so queried:

I manage a single Atlantic Queen that was purchased from Leuthhardt
Nursery in Long Island, NY about 30 years ago. This doesn't give me anywhere
near enough experience with it to qualify me as a critic but I must say that
on the tree I manage the pears do not get up enough sugar to qualify it as a
fine dessert pear. It is a site that doesn't provide optimum sun but it does
get full sun from mid morning until an hour before dusk and the Boscs and
Seckels from adjacent trees are sweet as candy. Anyone else out there have
experience with this pear?

My reply:

Atlantic Queen is what I call a cheese pear, i.e. a very robust pear with a
complex balance between pear flavor and a fit of sweetness, in contrast to
something like Harrow Sweet or Harvest Queen which is more like pure sugar
with pear essence.

So I take advantage of the characteristics of each pear and dry Harvest Queen
and Harrow Sweet(among others) and eat them instead of Gummie Bears and use a
pears like Atlantic Queen as snack or dinner course with cheese, crackers,
grapes (you may want wine)and nut meats (some caramelized, others roasted,
and others raw).

It is sort of like eating Bramley's Seedling out of hand...not so great, but
with a bit of sharp cheddar, and a soft white cheese, rye crackers and a
grape you have synergistic feast of flavors and sensations worthy of mention
and remembrance.

lil' ol' me

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====