nafex - [NAFEX] Last years fireblight discussion

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Last years fireblight discussion
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 09:02:04 -0400

Alan, fireblight is one fickle beast. Most years I had it easily under control with pruning out the strikes; I also left galls around if I thought I would have to take too much of the tree out to get one. Last spring here however was the perfect storm -- it absolutely ravaged my apples in spite of diligent pruning of strikes and several streptomycin sprays. I think the weather was just right for the infection. Now the funny thing is pears are 20' from the apples but they didn't get any strikes last year at all (and the quinces got nailed, I lost one of them).

This year? Its at the lowest level I have seen in five years. Three blossom strikes and not a single flagged limb. We recently had two weeks where it seemed to rain all the time, but these rains came a little later and with cooler weather than last year and I think that made all the difference.

So, don't let your guard down, if the weather is just right for infection it could come back with a vengeance.

Scott

  • [NAFEX] Last years fireblight discussion, Scott Smith, 05/11/2009