nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pears (was Atlantic Queen pear)

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pears (was Atlantic Queen pear)
  • Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 19:46:04 -0500

And as information I do think Stark Hardy Giant is the same as Olympic as I sent them their original bud wood many, many years ago and have seen their scion orchard more recently.

Thanks! I'd thought that the Starking Hardy Giant, Olympic, and Korean Giant were all the same thing, but it seemed like there was some disagreement about that here, last time I posted something about it. Or maybe it was the New Century/Shinseiki. Asian pears seem to be sold under various names, and Stark Bros. is terrible at renaming varieties.

But whatever you call it, the Starking Hardy Giant has grown into a very nice little tree with a perfect branching structure. I'm having a harder time with the New Century and a Hosui that I planted a year later. They don't seem to want to cooperate with me. :-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Someone had asked me why I didn't have bad entities - villains - in my stories, generally speaking, and my point was that the universe was a perfectly adequate villain. - Hal Clement