nafex - [NAFEX] Growing Peaches in Cold Climates

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Growing Peaches in Cold Climates
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 12:48:47 -0500

Last year I gave a presentation at the Chicago Botanical Gardens on "Growing Peaches in Northern Illinois (Climate Zone 5)"  Since I can't dance, it's too wet to plow, grandma's got the motorscooter,  the baby's mother is taking a nap, it's too windy to spray and I have nothing better to do at this moment......I though it might be a good time to upload the presentation so all of the NAFEXers could get the information that the MIDFEXers got last year.  You can view the presentation at http://www.slideshare.net/orchardkeeper as well as the notes and download it if you like.

I hope it helps those of you thinking of trying to grow peaches in northern climates.  Pay special attention to the sections on temperatures and keep in mind that since this presentation was given we experienced an all time low of -20 to -24 for over 6 hours that froze all of our peach trees.  This was the first time that we experienced these extreme lows since the late 1980's in our location.  Hope you find this info useful

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174
Fax (609) 228-2174
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Norton;Dennis M.
FN:Dennis M. Norton
ORG:Royal Oak Farm Orchard
URL;WORK:http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard
REV:20090509T174847Z
END:VCARD

  • [NAFEX] Growing Peaches in Cold Climates, dmnorton, 05/09/2009