nafex - Re: [NAFEX] PC tilling

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] PC tilling
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 11:36:24 -0500

Our pressure here in Zone 5 is very heavy.  I usually leave 1 tree untreated with anything on our most wooded orchard edge asa a control.  Each season almost every apple has ovipositioning on it.  I set a trap in hte tree using a lure of plum essence and pheremones to attract them to that tree and have trapped PC each season in it as well.  When I trap the first PC, usually prior to any ovipositioning since the females are ready to lay eggs prior to fruit set, I know I have them and will need to get some protection on the new fruit pronto.  I do hold out to coincide with my first CM spray.

A new video was jsut posted to the Growing Produce web site on Optimizing Insecticide Performance To Control Plum Curculio at http://www.growingproduce.com/gptv/?cid=2 .  It is the best I have seen in describing the various products for PC control.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174