nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Northern Bayberry

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Northern Bayberry
  • Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 14:12:05 -0400

Myrica pennsylvanica. I believe the wax in the fruit was used by the early European settlers for candles, and may still be so used for special applications.

According to "Trees, shrubs and vines for attracting birds" by DeGraaf and Witman (U. Massachusetts Press, 1979, excellent, oriented to U.S. northeast) the fruit is very popular with birds from turkey to goldfinch. It is also said to be useful to songbirds for nesting sites and (when in thickets) shelter.

I reckon that anything that is good for songbirds is good for fruitgrowers.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario

Jim Fruth wrote:
What is a Northern Bayberry, Myrica pennsylvanicum, good for? Is the fruit edible? Anything?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: