nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pomme Gris vs Swayzie

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pomme Gris vs Swayzie
  • Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 21:59:25 -0400

Hello Derry,
Swayzie is supposed to be a seedling of Pomme gris, born in Niagara by
1850. First published description in 1872. Both are quite similar, but
Swayzie is said to be more golden in colour - Beach in Apples of New York
also says Swayzie is more highly aromatic and superior in quality - but
this is probably debatable and could be dependant on where the apples are
grown.
Personnally, I only have Pomme gris, and when the season is good and it is
ripened to perfection, it would be pretty difficult to imagine another
apple with more aroma and of better quality!

Claude