nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Almonds near Walls

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Almonds near Walls
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 20:40:15 -0700

I've grown Hall's Hardy. It's a peach-almond hybrid and it's usually grafted on something like St. Julian plum rootstock. It's the rootstock you have to think about. Peach rootstock isn't particularly invasive, but plum stocks like St. Julian may sucker. Incidently, the "nuts" of HH are thick shelled, resembling a peach pit more than an almond. The trees make a nice ornamental, but the nuts are almost as hard to crack as black walnuts. You might try Prunus tenella. It's sold as an ornamental, but some types produce a good number of nuts on a bush. Just don't eat them raw - they have to be cooked to destroy the cyanide in them.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/