nafex - [NAFEX] Northern Spy

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Northern Spy
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:31:15 -0700

Naomi writes on Northern Spy:

Does this one leaf out much later than other apples? My other trees are
inleaf and blooming. This one is bare. But the branches are very limber
agreen feeling. I did not have a pocket knife on me to check for green.

My reply:

Yep it is late. I take it you did not graft this one out yourself?
Northern Spy is one of favorite apples, but it can drive you crazy with its
idiosyncrasies. It is large on any rootstock so if you have it in a
controlled planting with other trees you might want reconsider its location.
My experience is, even on M27 it is 2x the size of the majority of trees - so
an M27 Northern Spy look at home with M26 of other trees.

Great tree though. Pick up "Apples and Man" to read what amounts to a
tribute to it.

Apples and Man, Fred Lape . 1979. Van Nostrand Reinhold Co, NY, NY ISBN No.:
0-442-24678-1

Probably one of those books that will never see print again as the
information is dated.

tfb

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====