nafex - [NAFEX] Vitamin C in jelly myth?

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Vitamin C in jelly myth?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:37:38 -0500

All(?) of the experts claim that vitamin C degrades rapidly during the boiling process of making jelly to where it is absent from the finished product. Could it be possible that this is a myth that everyone(?) claims but no one has tested to confirm? Could it be like the Pine Needle myth where experts claim "pine needles are acidic" but few, if any pine needles actually are acidic?
In my "Handbook of Chemical Data" it says that the melting point of Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin C, is 192 degrees C (377.6 F). So how can it degrade if it hasn't gotten hot enough to even melt yet? Am I missing something here?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: