nafex - [NAFEX] Named Elderberries - no thanks

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Named Elderberries - no thanks
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:29:44 -0500

Richard Murphy wrote, "Last year the stalks got 4 to 5' tall. This year I expect fruit, and I'll compare it to the traditional Candian stuff I have that already works fine."

I bought the named Elderberries Nova and York. In their second year they were 8' tall and produced copious amounts of fruit. In their third year, they were less tall and produced less fruit. Thereafter they became short (2' to 5') bushes and never fruited again. One by one I'm grubbing them out. Now I plant Sambucus canadensis that I get from the New Hampshire Conservation Department. They are not as compact, not as pretty, don't produce as much fruit as the named varieties did (once) but they are dependable. S. canadensis produces abundantly in full sun and are more than worth their growing space when planted in shade/filtered sunlight.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: