nafex - [NAFEX] Cold hardy blackberries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cold hardy blackberries
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:46:37 -0500

Alan Haigh wrote, "I bet you could grow Navajo in a zone 3 if you bent the canes over and
covered with leaves before temps got below 10 F. or so."

I have attempted to grow nearly everyone's blackberry and most of them made it through the Minnesota Winter unscathed without being covered or , in any way, winter-protected. The problem with most is that their fruit would still be green when the Autumn frosts came. Fort Kent King was one that winter-killed above the snow-line and whose snow-covered branches produced abundantly - It didn't appear as though canes were killed by cold, rather the dry winter wind desiccated the canes. The reason I settled on going through the hassles with growing Fort Kent King is because, unlike most others that I've tried, its fruit ripens before the frosts arrive.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: