nafex - [NAFEX] Grafts and freezing temperatures

  • From: "Mark and Alisha Fehringer" <markandalishafehringer@peetzplace.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafts and freezing temperatures
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 21:10:55 -0600

Does frost/freezing actually damage callusing grafts (apple, pear, cherry), or does it just slow the process down? All texts I have seen only specifiy daytime temperatures as guidelines for grafting.  No mention is ever made of concerns about low temperatures.  Our wildly fluctuating spring temperatures will definitely expose new grafts to frost/freeze if following only daytime highs. Just wondering if it's better to wait for much warmer temps, and risk scion drying, or do it while still cool with risk of freezing.

Mark