nafex - [NAFEX] Blueberries - Shade cloth report

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blueberries - Shade cloth report
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:59:39 -0400

I tried using a 30% shade cloth product from Gintec last year on my
blueberries. The intent was to use a product with fine mesh to keep
birds out, but to not trap fledglings, snakes and other small passersby.
I was concerned that the shade would potentially reduce flowering the
following year.

No problem! My blueberries are full of blooms and happy bumblebees. I
see no evidence of reduced blooming this year. The shade cloth worked
very well; we constructed a metal frame to hold it above the rabbiteye
bushes, it reached the ground on all sides. No berry loss to birds, no
bird loss to netting. Plus, it made July berry picking cooler under the
cloth - an unexpected bonus.

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC