nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting--Parafin

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting--Parafin
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 13:22:07 -0400

I don't graft a lot, 5 or 6 scions on average. I use a splice grafting technique that I learned while in a university course 30 years ago. The other techniques look interesting and I might try them someday.

I too, wrap the scion with a thick rubber band, very tight. Because of convenience, I use parafin wax, applied with an artists brush. The wax is gently softened on my stove in a heavy but small sauce pan. The heat in the heavy bottom is usually enough to keep the wax fluid till I generously brush the wax on the graft. I also coat the scion in full - not as generously. Over the last three years since I started to graft, my success is probable over 90%. This includes working on wild saplings and fresh rootstock. In mid-summer, the elastic degenerates in the heat and sun, and the wax just flakes off - probably because of scion and stock expansion. The scion buds have no difficulty in breaking through the wax.

This process is fine for me, but I agree that if you have a large quantity of trees, it might not be convenient.

jmb