nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grapple, kids and artificial flavour [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: "ADAMSON, Karl" <Karl.Adamson@apvma.gov.au>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grapple, kids and artificial flavour [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:08:56 +1000

It seems Australia is not alone in these things. I had a friend just the
other day wielding a leek at me with the "how about that" expression on
his face.

>From my kids perspective, a lot of the joy in eating fruits and
vegetables is in the "hunt". I will pick things and bring them inside
to be barely touched. Whereas, if they happen to find them on a tree
they are relished like a discovered treasure.

It is my belief that we still defer to our hunter-gatherer instincts for
such things and that this tickles a very particular part of the
primitive brain. It is my pessimistic that believes the corporate world
spends a great deal of money subverting this instinct to create such
things as shopping malls and the aforementioned grapple. Let it be our
duty to our kids to teach them the pure joy of sitting in a raspberry
patch stuffing ourselves silly with fruit (says I, going home to do just
that).

Karl
A droughty Autumn here in Oz, and the trees are turning early for the
want of more rain.

IMPORTANT: This email may contain confidential or privileged information.
If
you are not the addressee you may not copy, use or rely on the contents of
this
email or any attachment. If you have received this transmission in error
please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this
transmission.