nafex - Re: [NAFEX] secular graft questions, timing

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] secular graft questions, timing
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 03:12:59 +0000

I've been delighted & humbled by these strings on faith, luck, science, &
pure stubborness. Good luck to everyone! Have a great '09!

How does a northern (secular, non moon-watching) grower schedule spring work?
When the ground thaws enough to get a shovel in the ground, I transplant.
Repeat per species as budswell occurs, and quit when leaf expansions start.
Next, try to get ahead of the weeds (Ha!). Next, May is getting warm and
possibly June is here, so better get the grafting done. Apples & pears,
because most of the stone fruits don't work here. By mid-June I'm doing only
early AM prowls for weeds, because it's too hot to be out in midday.

Timing of grafting: I've had best success w/ scion collected during winter,
and stored in plastic bags in the refrig. Grafts done in May & first week of
June (cut off new green growth and graft into wood) work well. I wish I had
the resourses to test the comparison Alan suggests in his Q#2

As per the humiliation scenario, I think one of the ways to get others
interested in hort experimentation is to have something obviously odd which
they can ask questions about. If you can answer concisely & w/ humor, you'll
get them more interested.

tc, sWI, also wondering where the blizzard went