nafex - Re: [NAFEX] the blizzard that wasn't

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, toni.pralle@gmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] the blizzard that wasn't
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 16:41:26 -0400

Toni, I don't think that you want to leave peach roots in water
longer than a few hours if you can help it. They need oxygen.

I would plant those peaches *now*, even if just to heel them in temporarily - if the latter, in an area with wind protection if possible.

Otherwise, put the roots in something like damp peat moss, and put the little trees in a wind-protected spot which won't get below freezing
(or much below), maybe in an unheated garage next to the house wall.
An earth cellar might serve if there is not too much of say vegetables in storage - might not matter if only for 24 hours or so.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Toni Pralle wrote:
Well, after all the hype, the massive blizzard that was supposed to hit Iowa didn't. At least not me. I have some really, really heavy wet snow but nothing that will be here tomorrow, I bet.
The question of the day........I got two Reliance bare root peaches from Gurney's yesterday. I put them in a bucket of water and they are still there. Should I plant them today? At least I THINK I can dig a hole. I don't know just exactly how cold it is going to get. Was supposed to get 20 or something like that and strong wind. Don't know if that will happen. Maybe.

--
Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA