nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Growth habit of Foxwhelp apple?

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: burdrs@gmail.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Growth habit of Foxwhelp apple?
  • Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 22:09:53 -0400

Randy,
As far as I know, most so-called Foxwhelp apple trees in North America are
not the real English Foxwhelp. It is thought that it comes from a rootstock
that overgrew the variety in the English orchard where the wood was
originally collected. Since, this false Foxwhelp (and often now called
Fauxwhelp) has been distributed in USA and Canada. I have it, and it has
nothing in common with a true Foxwhelp - it is a very tart cooking apple,
and completely useless for cider.
Note that I am not aware yet of the true Foxwhelp being on this continent!
If someone out there is sure of having the real thing I would love to know...
So, my suggestion is, before you worry about the growing habit of the
variety, make sure of what you are getting...

Claude
Quebec