nafex - [NAFEX] Fwd: [nafex] Supplement to Del's heavenly Evans

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fwd: [nafex] Supplement to Del's heavenly Evans
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:24:12 -0500

Another archived post on Evans from that 2001 discussion thread:

You can get tissue cultured Evans cherries for less than $1.50 US, depending
on quantity, and they ship to the US with the proper permits, as I
understand it. http://www.dnagardens.com/ will get you the information, plus
a lot of other very hardy, delicious fruit, ie Lee saskatoons.

Re root suckers on Evans, only one tree/bush in every 2 or 3 will send out
root suckers. The trees that do pop them up much like poplar trees on your
lawn, little suckers that "magically" appear 1 to 8 ft. from the mother
plant. You can also rototil the soil to encourage suckering, or simply dig
and cut a section of root and plant the sections vertically in a pot and
many will form new trees. Good luck Del, Evans cherries are certainly worth it.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta