nafex - Re: [NAFEX] seeking goumi cutting, Figs and Persimmon

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] seeking goumi cutting, Figs and Persimmon
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 16:52:03 -0700

Marion is a variety of trailing blackberry produced at Oregon State U. from a cross of Chehalem x Olallie. It was introduced in 1956. Chehalem has a local species, Rubus ursinus, as a parent that gives it a particular rich, aromatic flavor. The variety is mainly grown in the Willamette Valley for pies and preserves and is highly prized for them. The berries are quite large, but with unusually small seeds. The vines suffer damage at 7 F above zero, so they can't be grown many areas without winter protection. Marion is the standard against which all other berries are compared in this area of Oregon.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/