nafex - [NAFEX] What the crazy lady in zone 3 is trying to grow.

  • From: "rmelrose@danvilleVT.net" <rmelrose@danvilleVT.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] What the crazy lady in zone 3 is trying to grow.
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 07:51:25 -0400

Well, Sarah, I'm glad to see you are keeping yourself busy!! I for
one think it is an excellent undertaking.

Where to start? Since it was part of what piqued my interest, what
about the quinces. You say you have just grown quince seeds from
commercial quinces -- which would be California grown perhaps. Have
you had these out for a winter yet? I happen to have an interest in
quinces and have four of the Russian varieties growing -- three
doing well -- in Vermont. In fact this year I have started quite a
few seedlings to see what will come. I am not sure whether they are
cross-pollinated or not, I rather suspect they are, since the
harvest on the first tree went up dramatically when the second and
third flowered.

On the other hand I warn you, if you answer about the quinces I will
have to ask about all the pears.

As a general question, when did you first plant -- how many of your
trees are bearing?

Richard

Hi Richard and others,

I have been unable to get my hands on an "real" quince tree so my
quince seedlings are from some grocery store fruit and therefore I
have no idea what they are or how they will do here. I'm happy to
try growing just about anything and have had some unusual successes.
But I'm willing to admit that it is possible that my Cox's Orange
Pippin that has done so well for me may simply be something hardy
mislabelled.

Before I get to the list I'm going to share the four-fold philosophy
behind my "husband-funded private research station" (lol!):

  • [NAFEX] What the crazy lady in zone 3 is trying to grow., rmelrose@danvilleVT.net, 03/31/2009