nafex - [NAFEX] Orchard Supplies and development

  • From: "Raby, Brian" <brian.raby@roche.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Orchard Supplies and development
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:05:12 -0400

All,

It's been several years since I've been on this Listserver but I glad now to be back.  Y'all have a wealth of information that I would like to tap into.

I am located just north of Indianapolis.  A friend of mine and I were recently talking about starting up a farm orchard business and I need to assistance.

1.  What is the opinion of the orchardist regarding Slender Spindle, Vertical Axis, or other techniques when pruning an orchard?  I have read several articles regarding most of them, including labor input vs. fruit output.  What has been favorable for you and why?

2.  Rootstock to use for the somewhat clayish soils we have in our area.  Would like to keep it to dwarf only (B-9, M-26, etc)

3.  Where does one go for Orchard Supplies in the midwest for posts/stakes, irrigation system?

4.  How about a  chemical supplier I could contact?  I called a person in the central Indiana area who is a supplier.  I found him, however, to be rude and condenscending so I would like to find a business elsewhere (I don't want to mention his name or company less he is on this listserver).

4. Cider apples varieties for both sweet and hard that grow well in our area.

5.  Any hard cider producer in our area that my friend and I could go visit and exchange information.

I think that would be enough for now.  Thank you for your time that it took to read this.

Brian Raby
Sheridan, IN