nafex - [NAFEX] spring clean-up

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] spring clean-up
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 23:40:57 -0400

I pruned my grape vine. Just in time - it seems it had gotten all tangled in the apricot tree, and the apricot buds have already begun to swell. And some of the apricot branches show minor damage from the grape tendrils. I think I'll discourage it from growing into the apricot altogether this year, and I'm glad I got it out this spring.

The cornus mas buds are large, and will open with another day or two of warm weather. I got one fruit the year before last. I'm hopeful of a little fruit this year. (I liked the one fruit I got.)

My dad, who nearly died last year, and has been slowly regaining his health, was strong enough to plant tomatoes in his basement yesterday. I'll bum some seedlings off of him when the time comes, but I'm just tickled pink that he was able to do it at all.

My currant appears to still be alive. At least, I'm hopeful I haven't lost it to mystery blight yet. If anyone knows what causes decline in red currants, and better yet, if anyone knows a treatment, please let me know.

The blueberries have a nice crop of buds. I guess I'd better get some new netting in the hopes of getting fruit this year. The raspberries are still very dormant.

The new blueberries and raspberries that I put in on the edge of the property seem to have been extensively prunes by the deer over the winter. Drat.

There are other, non-fruit, signs of life in my garden, but I think I'll stick to fruit news for today.

all the best,

Ginda Fisher
Eastern MA, zone 6

  • [NAFEX] spring clean-up, Ginda Fisher, 03/29/2009