nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT: Academia. was: mychorizal fungal rip off?

  • From: Kevin Moore <aleguy33@yahoo.com>
  • To: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT: Academia. was: mychorizal fungal rip off?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 09:32:22 -0700 (PDT)

I think this is largely because our land-grant universities were once publicly funded and given academic freedom. Today, they are all scrambling for dollars from grant providers with an agenda. "Publish or perish" has led to a marked decline in tree research because studies can often take decades but the researcher is expected to publish something every year or two, if not more often.
Too often we don't know what we had until it is gone.