nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Planting on north slope.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Planting on north slope.
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:40:27 EDT

In a message dated 3/26/2009 11:56:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time, skkewing@yahoo.com writes:

I read an article on growing apricots in borderline areas such as my own and it said that those of us colder than zone 7 should plant our trees on a North facing slope to delay precocious bloomers.

So I planted mine on a North slope and it seems to be working: my trees have been in for three years and have yet to bloom
!

Hi Sarah,

Delaying the blooms for years?   Laughed out loud!

Some years back I planted three apricots on a north slope what provided afternoon shade by larger pines south of them. In the summer they get sun at least half the day.

It didn't seem to help. They almost always bloomed early enough to get frozen. Planting on a north slope is a good theory, but didn't seem to work for me in zone 5b.

Jerry

Great Deals on Dell 15" Laptops - Starting at $479 (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219799606x1201361003/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213153745%3B34689725%3Bo)