nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pruning plums

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pruning plums
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 00:22:06 -0400

Thanks Alan. I won't decide until I have the pruners in my hand, but right now I'm thinking I'll go for an open center on the 2 Europeans and a modified central leader on the Alderman. Maybe I can keep the Alderman under control by repeatedly cutting back the central leader to a weaker shoot and eventually letting the lower scaffolds grow up (and out) to compete with it.
My yard seems to grow plums very well, for some reason. In spite of the short growing season the slower growing Opal is probably 7 feet tall with some good horizontal branches well on their way. The other 2 are well over 10 feet tall (but no more than an inch across the lower trunk). These were no more than 4 feet tall when I planted them in April of 2007.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Alan Haigh wrote:
Forgot to mention that I always start off by training trees to a central leader but sooner or later settle often on an open center.