nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wintergreen

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wintergreen
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:28:01 -0700 (PDT)

Wintergreen grows wild around here, sparsely in woods, not really like a groundcover. However, in only grows on a certain type of soil, and I don't know which type that is. But I've noticed it only in areas that have a particular type of rock, different from the usual rocks around here. Sorry, I'm not a rock or soil expert, but I get the feeling that it must be picky about soil, or I'd be seeing it more.

And about shade: a wooded area is very sunny in winter and early spring before the trees leaf out. This might be why this plant is, well, "green" in "winter" hence the name, to take advantage of that light. I suspect the area under your deck is uniformly shady year round. You might wind up with winterbrown.

Melissa
zone 5, central NY

Randy Burd <burdrs@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a shaded area under my deck that I would like to try to grow
Wintergreen. I tried growing it in the past on another site with minimal
success.

Is this a good ground cover?

Any tricks for establishment?

Thanks.