nafex - [NAFEX] male kiwi in trees?

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] male kiwi in trees?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:05:34 -0700 (PDT)

I'll be building a pergola for my two planned female kiwis, but I'm considering letting the male climb an otherwise useless little group of trees. Is there any reason not to do this? I don't care how high it gets, since it won't have any fruit to reach. Am I correct in assuming that it will bloom without any fancy pruning? I know the roots will compete, but I assume that the kiwi has some way of dealing with this, since isn't this how it grows in the wild?

Melissa