nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT Milk, Dumping, hormones, antibiotics

  • From: "Naomi Counides" <naomi@oznayim.us>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT Milk, Dumping, hormones, antibiotics
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:28:52 -0600

I am in no way as generally informed as Lucky. However I do have goats and
on occasion they have had mastitis. I can think of nothing more cruel than
to leave a sick animal without effective treatment. Sometimes it is totally
subclinical and I suppose could go unnoticed and untreated. But on the
other end was a doe with a 105 fever, would not eat. I knew she was sick,
just did not know what. Took her in to the Caine Vet Center of the U of
Idaho and they found the mastitis. 5 days on antibiotics (and some
banamine) and she was well with no scar tissue. Without it I believe she
would have died. Since it was my milk I fed it to kids for the withdrawal
time. I have enough goats that I can select who will be house milkers.

I do not know any organic dairy farmers. I do know professional dairy
farmers and they are a careful and conscientious lot. The one who comes to
mind most readily is highly observant, can spot a problem in the almost
invisible beginning stages at 50 feet, very intelligent, practical and
obsessively clean.

It is common practice on a real dairy to milk sick and treated cows
separately from what goes into the bulk tank. You cannot NOT milk them. I
would explain why but it might be a bit graphic.
Naomi