nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Renetka or Antonovka

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Renetka or Antonovka
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 01:13:55 +0000

sWI, z4, light/poor soil: Antanovka seems to be as drought-tolerant as
described, altho in extreme summers I see a tendancy for early leaf drop from
some topwork. Usually good growth, but stunting or rejection of Red & Y.
Delicious offsprings, and one of the golden russets.

Occasionally there is delayed precosity, but I don't know if this is an
Antanovka/topwork combo problem, or a trait of the occasional Ant seedling no
matter what one would have grafted to it.

I have one Ant which wants to send up root suckers like a plum, but it is too
close to a driveway and sees occasional damage to branches & disturbance of
shallow roots.

The mature tree could dominate the average front or back yard, and make more
apples than owners & both neighbors might want to use.

________________________________
> Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 22:34:26 -0500
> From: dsmndel@gmail.com
> To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: [NAFEX] Renetka or Antonovka
>
> Since no one so far has ideas about other Renetka sources, and since it's 4
> times the price at Lawyers as their Antonovka - I have to consider that
> variety now for my grafting classes.
> A dozen years ago (and about 3 or 4 forum formats ago) we had a thorough
> discussion on the original Nafex forum concerning hardy standard Malus
> rootstocks: Antanovka / Renetka / Baccata . The resounding conclusion back
> then for my particular climate and soils, was to go with Renetka - and I am
> delighted! Full healthy trees now, no incompatability, hardiness or root
> rot problems at all.
>
> I have no Antanovka rooted trees to compare. Can anyone compare or attest
> to its compatability / 2b hardiness / broad soil adaptability? other issues?
> Sure would be cheaper for the class.
> Thanks, Del
>
> --
> Del, 2b/3a n. Mn