nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Climbing, Digging rabbits

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Climbing, Digging rabbits
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 22:18:08 +0000

s.WI, plenty of feed OUTSIDE the fence: I've seen rabbits wriggle under fence
if fence weave is too small to go thru at their walking height. I suspect
this "digging" may be started by others like woodchucks, skunks, maybe even
my weeding activity along a fence.

I have 2 little nursery plots which I circled with the graduated woven
fence--weave is smaller at the bottom than the top, called lamb fence? One
plot is a large raised bed w/ steep sides. No animals (not even voles) have
bothered this plot, except turkeys scratched at the sides and I had to lay
fence scraps on these slopes. The other plot is at grade, and when snow this
winter got deep enough the rabbits just walked in. I'm hoping there's enough
stems below the snow to still do some grafting this spring!

The rabbits didn't actually climb into the second plot, just used the snow.
It has been a nice surprise that nobody is interested in climbing the sides
of the raised bed. Fence height is only 3', so deer could step over but the
step UP TO the fence apparently stymies them. Deer showed no interest even
before I foiled the turkey excavations and cluttered the slope w/ fence
scraps.
Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for HotmailĀ®.