nafex - [NAFEX] Fences for deer proofing

  • From: David Maxwell <David.Maxwell@Dal.Ca>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fences for deer proofing
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:46:39 -0400

I am intrigued. It sounds as though a 7 ft. fence is quite adequate for your
Yankee deer. But this won't work for our Northern (Canadian) deer. I had an 8
ft. fence around my orchard. One morning I saw a small yearling doe in the
orchard. When she caught sight of me she decided she had better skeedaddle,
so
she strolled over to the fence, paused to look at me, and then from a standing
start (no running at it!) she levitated straight up, over the fence, landing
lightly on the other side, and strolled off into the woods. No apparent
effort, totally casual.
I added a further 4 ft. to the fence (now up to 12 ft.), and no more deer in
the
orchard. (But they do decimate the flower beds and shrubs.) Veg garden also
protected with 12 ft. fence. A local runner asked as he wheezed by if we were
raising giraffes.

David Maxwell in Nova Scotia, zone 5, with deer who have studied
Transcendental
Meditation, (or Levitation).