nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Seaweed and micronutrient blends

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Seaweed and micronutrient blends
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:23:11 -0800

Jim,

I've heard of these happening with individual micronutrients and blends, but
not with seaweed. Not that I believe there's some magical organic force
that prevents that, although I think some complex interactions might. And
toxicity from overuse could happen rather often, I just haven't yet run
across it. I don't mean that to be argumentative or sarcastic - sometimes
tone is lost in email. There are now, and have long been, people who compost
large amounts of seaweed or till it directly into the soil, using more
seaweed in a year than could be applied in decades of spraying, with
positive effect. Maybe the micronutrients are low compared with
micronutrient mixes, or there's something on the plant hormones that helps,
or the slower release of nutrients, the action of the seaweed creating humus
which in turn acts upon organic nutrient sources - or it could be the broad
balance of nutrients, hormones, and growth regulators, etc. that act upon
both the plant and soil.

I think of the kelp effect in the same way I think of human nutrients. Too
much sodium or potassium can be problematic or deadly, but when balanced -
as would be found in most foods - one can consume much more of each than
would otherwise be safe; also, nutrients are better utilized in the presence
of intrinsic factors (whole foods provide more nutrition than isolated
vitamins). Kelp is whole, with intrinsics intact. Micronutrient blends are
not. I would be very concerned about properly balancing individual
micronutrients, but kelp doesn't concern me.

Not that any natural fertilizer would be safe from overuse; I remember a
very high-nitrogen quick-release fertilizer made from guano that would, if
overused, burn plants in the same way that manufactured high-nitrogen
fertilizer can.

~ Stephen