nafex - [NAFEX] rootstock for plums in Z6, southeatern NY

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] rootstock for plums in Z6, southeatern NY
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:10:49 -0500

Seems like Citation has won out for a reliable rootstock that is about half dwarfing for plums.  I'm not generally looking for dwarfing but sometimes I get plants on C. by default, instead of Myro.  C. certainly accelerates bearing for the Euro-plums I've grown on it- probably by about 2 years.  I got some Fortune plums on Citation from Adams as the first Jap (sorry Fluffy)_I've grown on this rootstock but it's too early to give any reports, although I'm sure others of you have some experience with this combination.  In this climate, Citation is very helpful in creating a smaller precociously fruitful plum.  I was under the impression that Pixie and St Julian have some issues of durability.  Am I right?

  • [NAFEX] rootstock for plums in Z6, southeatern NY, Alan Haigh, 02/23/2009