nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 73, Issue 72

  • From: Heath Flax <8orge.onx@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 73, Issue 72
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 04:07:34 -0500

Re: Mapping Tree Locations
>> Can anyone recommend decent and inexpensive software for mapping tree
>> locations?
>
> Cool. You might try google maps. They have a free kit for small-
> scale use, such as you describe. My husband has played with it and
> found it fairly user-friendly. And the price is right.

A possible plus which might be encountered in using Google Maps,
especially focusing on a level of the overall woods in a given
setting--and maybe even the level of just the trees themselves or
even individual trees: with luck and high enough resolution (for the
particular site: which on GM apparently is dependent upon what's
available for the given site, and so, varies) of the Satellite View in
Google Maps is possible "considerable" detail sometimes viewable, at
high highest resolutions if they're available. Upon, as well, also a
careful viewing and checking
My experience: at first glance, before I found the higher
resolutions, I wasn't even sure Google maps "had" my blueberry
plantation showing up on the corresponding maps--I figured probably
the available photos preceded my planting of the site.
Upon further checking, amazingly it turns out not only is the whole
planting viewable, but "same" right down being able to make out and
view individual blueberry plants.
Is proving an interesting tool.

  • Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 73, Issue 72, Heath Flax, 02/22/2009