nafex - [NAFEX] Mowing raspberries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mowing raspberries
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:23:48 -0600

I mow my Autumn Bliss every Fall and I use a long handled pruning shears to accomplish the task. We mow them right down to the ground. If we leave any above ground buds, these produce low-growing summer berries - mowing with a lawn mower also leaves above ground buds. All rows have drip irrigation permanently in place and we add 6" of pine needles every three years to replenish the mulch. The only perennial weed we have a problem with is Quack Grass which we pull by hand as it approaches the berry patch from outside my property.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
www.jellygal.com
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Mowing raspberries, Jim Fruth, 02/18/2009