nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Disguised fly

  • From: Robert Stanton <robert.l.stanton@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Disguised fly
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:58:42 -0600

Jim,

I'm an entomologist-in-training, though my focus is more on ecology
and behavior than "pests."

Your fly sounds like it could be in the family Syrphidae, which are
prominent hymenoptera-mimics. I'm not familiar with adult syrphids
that consume actual fruit, though - they're typically nectar feeders
at that stage. If you have a picture, or a collected sample, that
would go a long way in helping lead to a positive identification.

Was last year the first you noticed its presence? Are there normally
yellowjackets around the orchard as well? What other insects are
present?

I'll try to leaf through some guides this evening and see what else
could be a match.

Robert