nafex - Re: [NAFEX] raspberry opinion

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] raspberry opinion
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:07:08 -0800 (PST)

Caroline is a good choice for an everbearer over Heritage IMO.  It has slightly better disease resistance, better flavor, and is somewhat earlier so you lose less of the fruit to frost at the end of the season.

I think how well an everbearer will perform for you also varies a lot with your climate and what part of the country you are in.  Summer bearers are far better here in the PNW because they ripen during the driest part of the year.  Everbearers have the problem of having more mold on the fruit because of dew at night and rain during the day in fall.  In addition, it is cloudier and cooler which means they don't sweeten up as well, and they also can become watery and less flavorful if we get an extended stretch of rainfall...

Michael

Michael Dossett Corvallis, Oregon www.Mdossettphoto.com phainopepla@yahoo.com