nafex - [NAFEX] Jelly and pH

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Jelly and pH
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 08:58:07 -0600

Neil Hochstedler asked, "Jim, I'm curious as to how you test pH. With berries, I don't worry about it, but I'd like to venture further into initially low acidity concoctions with confidence."

Unlike the pH meter with a metal probe that many are familiar with for testing garden soils, ours has a glass bulb that gets immersed into the (cooled) jelly. We paid about $35.00 for it and it looks sort of like the first one pictured on this list:
http://www.google.com/products?q=%22pH+meters%22 .
When we need to acidify anything, we use citric acid. BTW, the law here in Minnesota states that in order for jelly, jam and preserves, to be legally sold in Minnesota, it must have a pH of 4.6 or lower. Also, there are some berries, rose hips, et.al., that have a higher than legal pH.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: