nafex - [NAFEX] Jelling with Pomona's

  • From: Don Yellman <don.yellman@webformation.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Jelling with Pomona's
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:42:39 -0500

Mark:

Using one-half the recommended amount of Pomona's pectin is below the minimum
threshold normally required to jell when using ripe fruits with little or no
natural pectin. We have found the minimum to be almost exactly 2/3 the
amount recommended on the insert. Pectin should be throughly dry-blended
with a small amount of sugar (for low-sugar jellies) before adding to the hot
juice, which should then be brought to boiling to ensure the pectin is fully
dissolved. And, of course, we assume you didn't forget to add the calcium
solution, which is essential for jelling.

Using the full recommended amount has, for us, produced a product that is too
stiff. We have also produced a couple batches of fruit syrup when
experimenting with 1/2 the recommended amount.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA