nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Akebia

  • From: Bob Hartley <bob@sprucemt.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Akebia
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:16:11 -0500

I've had two Akebia vines for some years . They are two different species, Akebia quinata and Akebia trifoliata, with five and three leaflets per leaf respctively. Both grow vigorously without any care or fertilizer and both produce lots of small purple flowers. Only the quinata, however bears fruit, a dozen or so on the one vine. It looks as if the trifoliata pollen works on the quinata but not vice versa. I consider the fruit useless, except to show friends what an odd looking thing it is and let them have a taste. The "edible" part is a clear colorless gel studded with lots of hard round black seeds about 2 millimeters in diameter. The taste is about what you would expect from gelled sugar water.

Bob Hartley

  • Re: [NAFEX] Akebia, Sheridan Shumway, 02/05/2009
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • [NAFEX] Akebia, Martha L. Davis, 02/05/2009
      • Re: [NAFEX] Akebia, Bob Hartley, 02/05/2009