nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Seeking seeds for Aport apple

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Seeking seeds for Aport apple
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 14:17:17 -0500

Deb,
My wife is from Alma-Ata the ancient capital of Kazakhstan...
She thinks the Alexander apples we can get here are very close to the Aport apples she had over there - these were her favorite apples at the time and every year I have to go at the market to find the rare grower who has some Alexander until my own tree starts production.

She does think there is some slight difference - but it is hard to say if this difference is genetic (i.e. different varieties) or from the terroir, as the same variety grown in different places will give slightly different apples.

In any case, if you planted seeds from an original kazhak Aport apple, you would not get the real thing anyway - planting an Alexander tree is probably a better bet.

Claude Jolicoeur,
Quebec.